Sep 30, 2022  
2022-23 College of Liberal Arts 
2022-23 College of Liberal Arts


Academic Regulations


Academic Advising

Academic Calendar

Academic Credit

Academic Honor Code

Standards of Scholarship


Records, Grades and Registration Policies

Class Attendance

Class Standing

Declaring a Major/Minor


Transfer Credit

Transcripts and Academic Records

Leaves of Absence

Withdrawal from the College

Appeals of Academic Policies


Along with selecting a major, students should select an advisor from their major program department by the end of the sophomore year. A Change of Advisor form must be filed with the Registrar’s Office to accomplish such an assignment or to subsequently change advisors.


The College’s year consists of a 15-week fall and 15-week spring term. Included in either of these two terms are enriched educational programs, including study abroad courses, sometimes offered in early January, or in May or June. At the conclusion of regularly scheduled classes, there are usually four (4) days of examinations and up to three (3) reading days. Academic calendars and examination schedules are posted on the Registrar’s web site (


Academic credit at Rollins is awarded in semester hours. The standard course is defined as four (4) semester hours, which normally includes 150 minutes of in-class instruction per week.

Regular courses normally meet three times per week (typically Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) for fifty (50) minutes or two times per week for seventy-five (75) minutes. Some classes are offered for more semester hours and involve laboratories. Other classes are offered for fewer semester hours and normally meet for fewer hours in the course of a term.

As part of course requirements, Rollins faculty expect students to spend considerable time outside of class each week working on course-related activities. The work that occurs outside of and in preparation for class is essential for the learning that occurs in class. Students should expect to spend three hours out of class for every hour in class.

Academic Honor Code


Integrity and honor are central to the Rollins College mission to educate its students for responsible citizenship and ethical leadership. Rollins College requires adherence to a code of behavior that is essential for building an academic community committed to excellence and scholarship with integrity and honor. Students, faculty, staff, and administration share the responsibility for building and sustaining this community.

Each student matriculating into Rollins College must become familiar with the Academic Honor System. The College requires that students be able and willing to accept the rights and responsibilities of honorable conduct, both as a matter of personal integrity and as a commitment to the values to which the College community commits itself. It is the responsibility of instructors to set clear guidelines for authorized and unauthorized aid in their courses. It is the responsibility of students to honor those guidelines and to obtain additional clarification if and when questions arise about possible violations of the Honor Code.


Membership in the student body of Rollins College carries with it an obligation, and requires a commitment, to act with honor in all things. The student commitment to uphold the values of honor - honesty, trust, respect, fairness, and responsibility - particularly manifests itself in two public aspects of student life. First, as part of the admission process to the College, students agree to commit themselves to the Honor Code. Then, as part of the matriculation process during Orientation, students sign a more detailed pledge to uphold the Honor Code and to conduct themselves honorably in all their activities, both academic and social, as a Rollins student. A student signature on the following pledge is a binding commitment by the student that lasts for his or her entire tenure at Rollins College:

The development of the virtues of Honor and Integrity are integral to a Rollins College education and to membership in the Rollins College community. Therefore, I, a student of Rollins College, pledge to show my commitment to these virtues by abstaining from any lying, cheating, or plagiarism in my academic endeavors and by behaving responsibly, respectfully and honorably in my social life and in my relationships with others. This pledge is reinforced every time a student submits work for academic credit as his/her own. Students shall add to the paper, quiz, test, lab report, etc., the handwritten signed statement, “On my honor, I have not given, nor received, nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this work.”

Material submitted electronically should contain the pledge; submission implies signing the pledge.


Students are expected to conduct themselves with complete honesty in all academic work and campus activities. Violations of the Academic Honor Code include, but are not limited to the following.

1. PLAGIARISM. Offering the words, facts, or ideas of another person as your own in any academic exercise.

2. CHEATING. Using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information, or study aids in an academic exercise. This includes sharing knowledge of previously administered or current tests. The keeping of tests, papers, and other assignments belonging to former students is prohibited. Use of external assistance (e.g., books, notes, calculators, conversations with others) in completing an “in class” or “take home” examination, unless specifically authorized by the instructor, is prohibited.

3. UNAUTHORIZED COLLABORATION. Collaboration, without specific authorization by the instructor, on homework assignments, lab reports, exam preparations, research projects, take home exams, essays, or other work for which you will receive academic credit.

4. SUBMISSION OF WORK PREPARED FOR ANOTHER COURSE. Turning in the same work, in whole or in part, to two or more instructors, without the consent of the instructors in both courses.

5. FABRICATION. Misrepresenting, mishandling, or falsifying information in an academic exercise. For example, creating false information for a bibliography, inventing data for a laboratory assignment, or representing a quotation from a secondary source (such as a book review or a textbook) as if it were a primary source.

6. FACILITATING ACADEMIC DISHONESTY. Helping another student commit an act of academic dishonesty.

7. VIOLATION OF TESTING CONDITIONS. Looking at other students’ answers, allowing other students to look at your test, and working past allotted time are just a few examples where test conditions may be considered to be violated.

8. LYING. Lying is the making of a statement that one knows to be false with the intent to deceive. It includes actions such as (a) lying to faculty, administrators, or staff, and (b) lying to a member of the Honor Council.

9. FAILURE TO REPORT AN HONOR CODE VIOLATION. Failure to report occurs when a student has knowledge of or is witness to an act in violation of the Academic Honor Code and does not report it within five class days.



Because academic integrity is fundamental to the pursuit of knowledge and truth and is the heart of the academic life of Rollins College, it is the responsibility of all members of the College community to practice it and to report apparent violations. All students, faculty, and staff are required to report violations in writing to the Academic Honor Council for disposition. Referrals will be made through the Dean of Arts and Science.

  1. If a faculty member has reason to believe that a violation of the Academic Honor Code has occurred, he/she may have an initial meeting with the student to determine if a violation has occurred. If the faculty member believes that a violation has occurred, he/she is required to report it. This initial meeting is to clarify if a violation has occurred and not to determine if a known violation is to be reported.
  2. If a student has reason to believe that a violation of academic integrity has occurred, he/she is required to report it to the Academic Honor Council. The student that has witnessed a violation can, but is not required to, encourage the student suspected of the violation to self-report. If the student refuses to self-report, then the student that witnessed the violation must report it to the Academic Honor Council.
  3. Staff members that believe they have witnessed a violation must refer the case to the Honor Council for disposition.

Complaints must be made in writing and filed through the Office of the Dean of the Faculty. These complaints are then forwarded to the Academic Honor Council. Allegations must be submitted in writing within ten days of the discovery of the alleged violation. Complaints against graduating seniors must be submitted by the date senior grades are due to allow time for an investigation before graduation. The complaint should indicate all relevant details, including names of witnesses and must be signed. Submissions may also be made online.

For additional information, visit the Rollins Academic Honor Code at

Standards of Scholarship


Unsatisfactory academic performance includes poor attendance, lack of participation, failure to complete assignments on time, poor test and quiz grades, poor quality of written work, studio work, or laboratory work, or an estimated grade of ‘C-’ or lower in the course.  Faculty communicate with students about their academic performance in a course in various ways. This communication may take the form of emails, in-person meetings, graded course work, learning management system postings, and/or academic warnings.

Faculty may complete formal academic alert forms for students who are performing at unsatisfactory levels in their courses. Academic alerts are sent via campus e-mail to the student, faculty advisor, and professional advisors. Students receiving alerts are directed to meet with the professor of the course, as well as their faculty advisor, to discuss issues of concern, strategies for improvement, and other options including withdrawal from courses or exercise of the Late Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) option. In addition to these interventions, the Academic Advising Services staff also contacts students if they are deemed academically “at risk” for other reasons (multiple academic alerts, those on academic probation).

The withdrawal without penalty deadline occurs in the tenth week of each semester; students may exercise their one-time, late CR/NC option through 5 p.m. on the last day of classes each term.


Beginning Spring Term 2015, all students must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.00 and a single term Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 1.5 to be in good academic standing.


Rollins College students are expected to earn and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 to be considered in good academic standing. Students who fail to meet minimum academic standards at the end of any term are placed on academic probation, academic suspension, or are dismissed permanently from the College.

Minimum Academic Standards

Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, or whose fall or spring term GPA falls below 1.5, will be placed on academic probation. A Summer Term/Maymester GPA below 1.5 will not result in a student being placed on academic probation or suspended. However, changes in a student’s cumulative GPA after Summer Term/Maymester course grades are calculated may result in a student being placed on academic probation or moved to good academic standing.

A student with: Cum below 2.0 Cum above 2.0
Fall or Spring Semester Term GPA below 1.5 probation probation
Fall or Spring Semester Term GPA above 1.5 probation good standing

Academic Probation

Students on academic probation are required to enroll in a minimum academic load of twelve (12) semester hours during the fall or spring semester.

Students on academic probation may be prohibited from participating in Rollins-sponsored activities, such as athletics, fraternity/sorority life, leadership positions, study abroad, and/or internships for academic credit.

Students placed on academic probation will be asked to adhere to the General Requirements for Probation. Probationary students must complete a General Requirements for Probation form that specifies an individualized plan for returning to good academic standing and agree to abide by all probationary regulations, including enrollment in a specialized course focused on academic success. Failure to follow the terms of the General Requirements for Probation may result in a student’s immediate suspension or permanent dismissal, even during the course of the term in progress. Students who are academically suspended or dismissd prior to the end of a semester, Summer Term, or Maymester are subject to standard college refund policies for tuition, room, and board fees.

Students on academic probation need the permission of their academic advisor in order to add or drop any course during the add/drop period. Students on academic probation will need the approval of the Dean of Faculty (or designee) to complete the following academic transactions after the designated add/drop period: 1) withdrawal from a course; 2) take a graded course on a credit/no-credit basis; 3) file an Incomplete Grade Contract.

Academic Suspension

Students who fall within any of the following categories will be academically suspended from the College.

  • Those who have been on probation and do not meet the minimum academic standards the following fall or spring semester.
  • Those on probation who fail to follow any of the General Requirements for Probation.
  • Those who have been on probation two non-consecutive semesters (fall or spring only) and fail to meet the minimum academic standards a third time.

An exception is made for first-year students. First-year students will be academically suspended from the College after their first semester if their GPA falls at or below 1.25. If these students would like to be considered for continuation for a second semester, they should appeal their academic suspension to the Dean of the Faculty. If their appeal is accepted and they are continued in the Spring, these students will be subject to the General Requirements for Probation.

Students who are academically suspended from the College are not permitted to continue in any Rollins College programs, including the Hamilton Holt School. While on academic suspension, students should only be on campus to conduct business related to a re-admission appeal, and/or as an officially registered guest, and must abide the guest policies. Students may request to transfer back to Rollins any credits earned during an academic suspension. All transfer credits must be pre-approved prior to enrolling elsewhere via the Request for Permission to Study Outside Rollins College form.

Students who have been academically suspended a first time may petition for readmission by completing the academic appeal to return form in which they articulate both insight into the factors that led to the poor performance and a realistic plan to improve academic performance and return to good academic standing. This academic appeal to return may be submitted to the Office of the Dean of the Faculty after a minimum of one (1) semester has elapsed. To be considered for readmission from academic suspension, students must demonstrate readiness to return and improved commitment to academic success. The academic appeal to return will only be considered if the student is in good standing with the Rollins Community (including but not limited to Community Standards, Student Account Services, etc.).

Students who are academically suspended a second time are dismissed permanently from the College and may not subsequently enroll in any program.


Student grade reports are based on the following definitions.

  • Grade ‘A’ is reserved for work that is exceptional in quality and shows keen insight, understanding, and initiative.
  • Grade ‘B’ is given for work that is consistently superior and shows interest, effort, or originality.
  • Grade ‘C’ is a respectable grade. A ‘C’ average (2.00) is required for graduation. It reflects consistent daily preparation and satisfactory completion of all work required.
  • Grade ‘D’ D- is the lowest passing grade. It is below the average necessary to meet graduation requirements and ordinarily is not accepted for transfer by other institutions.
  • Grade ‘F’ is failing.
  • Grade ‘CR’ is passing with a grade of C- or higher.
  • Grade ‘NC’ is a grade below C- with no GPA penalty.
  • Grade ‘HF’ F grade for honors violation.
  • Grade ‘HZ’ Honors violation pending review.
  • P (C- or better), PD (pass with D+, D, D-), NP (no pass).  The P, PD, NP grades do not calculate into the GPA**

Cumulative grade point averages are based on a four-point (4.00) scale. Letter grades are assigned the following numerical equivalents.

Grade A



Grade A-



Grade B+


Grade B



Grade B-



Grade C+


Grade C



Grade C-



Grade D+


Grade D



Grade D-



Grade F


Grade WF*


  Grade HF 0      

*The WF grade was discontinued effective fall 2019-20.

Physical education activity (PEA) courses are graded on a credit/no credit (P/NC) basis.

**In response to the Novel Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), an optional P (pass), PD (pass with D+, D, D-), NP (no pass) grading system was implemented for the spring 2020-21 semester only in the College for Liberal Arts, Hamilton Holt undergraduate (effective spring 2019-20 only). 



Students wishing to appeal a grade will first consult with the instructor to determine whether an error has been made or the instructor wishes to reconsider the grade. If this is the case, the instructor submits a grade change request to the Dean of the Faculty or designee (if the course is offered by the College of Liberal Arts) or Dean of the Hamilton Holt School or designee (if the course is offered by the Hamilton Holt School). If the student is dissatisfied with the results of that consultation and wishes to pursue the matter further, s/he will meet with the chair of the department, who in turn must inform the instructor of the substance of the student’s appeal. The department chair acts as a mediator to attempt to resolve any disagreements and consults with the instructor about the grading process. The course instructor is the only person with authority to change the grade at this point. (If the instructor is the chair of the department, a tenured member of the department will be selected by the department to serve as mediator. If this is not possible, then the Dean of the Faculty, Dean of the Hamilton Holt School, or a dean’s designee, will serve in this capacity.

Perceived or actual differences in grading policies or standards between instructors, which are not a violation of College policies, are not a basis for further appeal. Further appeals beyond the chair of the department will be allowed only when the student can furnish evidence that the final grade was affected by the student’s opinion or conduct in matters unrelated to academic standards, bias based upon matters unrelated to academic standards, or the failure of the instructor to follow his or her own stated policies or College policies. The Dean of Students, College of Liberal Arts Faculty President, and chair of the Faculty Members Department (If the instructor is the chair of the department, a tenured member of the department or division will be selected by the department) must agree by two-thirds that it can be plausibly argued that these conditions are met in order for the appeal to proceed to the Curriculum Committee.

If these conditions are met, the student may proceed with the appeal to the Curriculum Committee by submitting a letter describing the situation to the Dean of the Faculty (if the course is offered by the College of Liberal Arts) or Dean of the Hamilton Holt School (if the course is offered by the Hamilton Holt School). This appeal must be made within one (1) year of the conclusion of the course. The Dean will request from the department chair a written account of the mediation process described above and its results, if any. The Dean may also request any other appropriate documentation. The Dean prepares all documents related to the case for submission to the Curriculum Committee. These documents are made available to the student and instructor to review and respond. Their responses, if any, are included with the materials submitted to the Curriculum Committee. The Dean shall receive the recommendation of the Curriculum Committee, review all documents, and make additional inquiries if necessary before reaching a decision. After such review, the decision of the Dean is final.


The President’s and Dean’s lists honor those students with a particularly high academic achievement in the previous fall or spring term. To be included on either list, students must complete a minimum of sixteen (16) letter-graded semester hours (no incomplete, ‘I,’ or deferred, ‘R,’ grades), and earn a GPA between 3.75 - 4.00 for the President’s List and between 3.50 - 3.74 for the Dean’s List. Upon removal of an incomplete or deferred grade, students who meet the requirements are added to the lists.


Honors at Graduation

Students completing the 70 semester hours (institutional hours) at Rollins College may qualify for graduation with Latin Honors provided that the appropriate cumulative GPA is achieved.

Honors are awarded as follows:

  3.50 - 3.69 Cum Laude
  3.70 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
  3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude

A student’s transcript will bear the appropriate honors designation, and it will be announced at Commencement.

Honors in the Major Field

Honors in the Major Field provides for independent research or special study during the senior year under the supervision of a three-member committee in the student’s major. To be eligible for Honors in the Major Field, students must:

  • achieve a minimum overall GPA of ‘C+’ (2.33) for all courses at Rollins,
  • achieve a minimum overall GPA of ‘B+’ (3.33) for all courses taken in the major at Rollins, and
  • receive endorsement of the committee for participation in the program.

Satisfactory performance on an approved thesis or individual project, an oral examination, and maintenance of the above averages qualifies a student for Honors in the Major Field, which is shown on the student’s official academic transcript.

Graduation Petition and Senior Audit

Students must complete and submit a Graduation Petition to be considered for graduation. In addition, students are responsible for preparing, submitting, and obtaining approval for their Senior General Education, Major, and if appropriate, Minor Audits. The Senior Audits document, by academic advisor and major/minor department chair approval, that all general education curriculum and major/minor requirements have been met.

Students may not receive degrees (including diploma or final transcript showing degree completion) until all graduation forms have been submitted and all graduation requirements have been completed. The degrees are awarded in December, May, and August, therefore the degree completion date will be the next degree date following the completion of graduation requirements and receipt of all forms and transcripts.

Commencement Participation
Graduating seniors participate in an annual Commencement ceremony held each May. Only students who have completed all graduation requirements may participate in the Commencement ceremony.

Petitions of Academic Appeal to participate in Commencement without all graduation requirements complete will be considered only when the following conditions are met.

  1. The student has an overall GPA of 2.0 (‘C’) and a 2.0 (‘C’) GPA in the major and minor both at the time of petition and at the time of Commencement, and:
  2. the student presents a viable plan, including documentation of course availability and an approved Request to Study Outside of the College of Liberal Arts, consisting of no more than eight (8) semester hours

Students who file a Request to Participate in Commencement and subsequently participate in the May commencement ceremony may not then enroll in regularly scheduled College of Liberal Arts courses during any future fall or spring term. Request to Participate in Commencement forms to make such academic appeals are available from the Registrar’s Office.

Latin honors, honors in the major field, nor any other College awards to graduating students will be neither recorded in programs, ascribed to student academic records, nor announced during ceremonies for any student who has not completed all graduation requirements at the time of Commencement. Students may participate in only one (1) graduation ceremony for the College of Liberal Arts.

The President approves degrees for students completing graduation requirements in fall term in December, for students completing requirements in spring term in May, and for students completing requirements in summer term in August.

Requirements for the Second Bachelor of Arts Degree

Graduates of the Rollins College of Liberal Arts are eligible to pursue a second bachelor of art degree as long as the intended major course of study differs from the first degree as determined and approved by the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.  Once the major is approved, the graduate must apply for readmission through the Office of Admission.  Post-baccalaureate second-degree special students are not eligible for on-campus housing.

To earn a second bachelor of arts degree, the graduate must complete a minimum of two (2) full-time semesters in residence on-campus in the College of Liberal Arts for a total of not less than thirty-five (35) semester hours of course credit, and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of not less than 2.0 for all Rollins courses.

Courses and grades earned in pursuit of the first degree will not be calculated in the grade point average of the second degree, and courses used for completion of the major(s) of the first degree cannot be used to fulfill major requirements of the second degree.

Records, Grades and Registration Policies


It is the responsibility of the faculty to publish attendance policies for their courses in the course syllabus. If a distinction is made between “excused” absences and “unexcused” absences, it must be conveyed in the attendance policy. At the instructor’s discretion, a student’s grade may be lowered for failure to comply with the attendance policy. Exceptions exist for absences owing to religious observances and college business. If a student misses a class because of either situation, then the student must confer with his/her professor as to how and when the make-up work will be done, which includes the possibility of turning work in early. Absences will be addressed by the faculty member in accordance with his or her attendance policy. A student will not fail a course because the number of religious observances and/or college business absences exceed the number of absences allowed, except if excessive absences make it impossible to fulfill the competencies of the course. The student’s class participation grade in the course, though, may be affected.

  • In regard to absences due to religious observances, students must communicate any attendance conflicts to their professor before the end of the official add/drop period.
  • In regard to absences due to college business, students must present to their professor written evidence of an upcoming absence as soon as they are aware of the conflict. It is the student’s responsibility to discuss with his/her professor how and when make-up work should be completed before missing class.

If the student feels s/he must be absent from class for any other reason, it is the student’s responsibility to confer with the faculty member to determine whether the absence is to be considered “excused” or “unexcused” as defined by the attendance policies. The Office of the Dean of Student Affairs will communicate when students must be absent from campus for hospitalization, family emergencies, or similar contingencies. Students will be responsible for all work missed.


Students are required to attend all classes beginning with the first scheduled class meeting. Students who do not attend the first class meeting are subject to removal from the class at the discretion of the instructor. To ensure accuracy of registration records, students are responsible for verifying their registration each term and submitting an official drop form for all classes not attended. Students unable to attend due to circumstances beyond their control must notify the Dean of the Faculty or the instructor prior to the first day of classes.


Class standing is determined by the number of semester hours successfully completed.

                                Sophomore Standing        30 semester hours

                                Junior Standing                  60 semester hours

                                Senior Standing                  100 semester hours

Declaring a Major

Students must satisfactorily fulfill the requirements of an established major or the plan of study of a self-designed major. Department Chairs or Program Coordinators must approve course substitutions within the major. In addition, students must earn a minimum grade point average of 2.00 (‘C’) in the courses approved for the major as accepted on the senior audit.

Selecting a major does not imply a career choice. Concentration in a major field of study is designed to give students command of the content and methods of one discipline or field, acquaintance with recognized authorities in the field, and general competence in dealing with courses of research or analysis. All students enter Rollins with their major listed as “Exploring.” For those students who express a preference for a major, their major will be listed as “Exploring–x.” To declare a specific major, students must: take two classes from the desired major’s major map; take one class from two other divisions of the college–these courses can include competencies and neighborhood classes; fill out a declaration of major form that requires a reflection on why the major is being chosen. A declaration of major must be filed in the Registrar’s Office prior to registration for the junior year. Students who do not file declarations of major will not be allowed to register for subsequent terms.

Majors are noted on a student’s official academic transcript, but not on the diploma.

Self-Designed Majors

Self-Designed Majors are intended for disciplined and highly motivated students who are clearly focused in their interests. These majors reflect the College’s recognition that not every student’s area of special interest will always fall neatly within the bounds of a single discipline as traditionally defined.

The self-designed major is not intended as a way for a student to avoid the intellectual focus and methodological rigor required in the normal departmental major or to avoid certain difficult courses within majors. It should not be used to concentrate work in a narrowly pre-professional way. On the contrary, by successfully completing the courses and integrative research project that constitute the self-designed major, the student is expected to achieve a depth of focused reflection and understanding at least comparable to that of a traditional major.

Guidelines for Submission of a Self-Designed Major Proposal

1. Students proposing a self-designed major must have a grade point average of 3.33 or better.

2. The proposal must include the names of three faculty members willing to serve on the senior research project committee. The faculty must represent the three disciplines represented in the major. The student must select a director, from among these three, who works with the student and the other committee members in preparing the proposal. The director also serves as an advocate in the approval process. Once the proposal has been approved, the director serves as the student’s academic advisor, monitors the student’s progress in completing the major, and chairs the committee which reviews the senior research project.

3. The proposed major program must have a coherent theme or topic that integrates at least three traditional disciplines. It must be different enough from a regular major that some combination of major and minor would not substantially achieve the same result. The student must include a rationale for choosing a self-designed major rather than a conventional major.

4. The proposal must include a list of courses, all related to and converging on the theme of the proposed major, from at least three disciplines.

5. The major must include a two-term, 8-semester-hour independent research project, (or combination of a 4-semester-hour upper-level seminar and a one-term, 4-semester-hour research project) integrating the major, to be completed in the senior year.

6. The program must be at least sixty-four (64) semester hours (including the senior project) in length, of which thirty-two (32) semester hours must be at the 300 level or above.

The proposal must be submitted to the Associate Dean of the Faculty for approval prior to March 1st of the sophomore year. The Associate Dean then submits the proposal to the Curriculum Committee for final approval. An Amendment Form must be submitted to approve any changes from the original proposal.

Double Counting of Classes for Majors and Minors

If students are enrolled in more than one major or minor, they may double count no more than half the number of courses in the smaller program. If the smaller program requires an odd number of courses, the student may round up. No course may be counted for more than two programs.


A registration advisement period is set aside during the fall and spring terms of each year to allow students to consult with academic advisors and prepare registration materials. Students are expected to complete their registration online during their assigned registration period and will have opportunity to make schedule changes through the subsequent semester’s add and drop deadlines.  Students can find their assigned registration day and time in FoxLink approximately two weeks prior to the start of the registration period.  To be eligible for registration, students must clear all registration holds in advance of their assigned registration time.  These holds may include:  advisor, outstanding account, past due account balance, past due monthly payment plan, missing final high school or college transcript or failure to declare a major on time.

Students are responsible for the accuracy of their schedule.  Class attendance or access to a course via Canvas does not constitute formal registration in a class.  Students should refer to to their official schedule located on FoxLink under the Self-Service Profile.

To be considered fulltime and eligible for financial aid and athletics, students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits, and students enrolled in fewer than 12 credits may have their financial aid reduced according to state and federal regulations.  It is is the student’s responsibility to know when they have dropped below fulltime status and the financial consequences they may incur.


Students may add courses to their schedule during the first week (five class days) of the semester.  Under exceptional circumstances, students may add courses, internships or independent studies to their class schedule after the end of the official add period with permission of the instructor and in consultation with the registrar.  Students who receive any form of federal financial aid are reminded that they must be registered for a minimum of twelve (12) semester hours by the tenth (10th) class day each term or their federal financial aid awards will be compromised.


Students may drop courses up until the 10th day of class (first two weeks).  Verbal or electronic notification from the instructor or failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal. Students who abandon a course without filing the proper withdrawal form automatically receive a failing grade.

A course dropped after the first two weeks of classes, but before Friday of the 11th week of classes is recorded on the student’s permanent record as a ‘W.’ Withdrawal from a course after this deadline is possible only if approved by the Academic Appeals Committee or under extenuating medical circumstances as determined by the Dean of Students. Students are responsible for consulting with the instructor regarding academic standing prior to the final date for withdrawal from courses. Instructors are responsible for providing students with a timely graded report concerning academic standing before the final date for withdrawal from courses. Students who withdraw from a course after Friday of the 11th week of classes may receive a grade of ‘F’ or NC (no credit) as determined by the grading mode for the course.

Students who drop short courses which do not meet the full semester, Intersession or Maymester courses must do so prior to the second class meeting and will have no notation placed on their transcript.  Students who drop short courses after the second class meeting, but prior to the 75% point of the course (as determined by the registrar) will receive a ‘W’ (withdrawal) notation.  Students dropping after the 75% point will receive a notation of ‘F’ or ‘NC’ (no credit) as determined by the grading mode for the course and instructor.

All international students in F-1 or J-1 status must receive permission from the International Student Services Coordinator prior to dropping any courses that would bring them below the twelve (12) semester hour minimum. Failure to receive prior permission may result in a termination of the student’s immigration status.


Students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts are expected to enroll each semester for a minimum course load of 12 credits; however, students expecting to graduate in four years must average seventeen-and-a-half (17.5) completed semester hours each semester. A full-time student in the College of Liberal Arts is normally registered for sixteen to twenty (16-20) semester hours during the fall and spring terms.


Registration in more than 22 credits in a semester is considered an overload and students must submit a Request for Overload form to the Registrar’s Office no later than 5:00 p.m. of the 5th day of class.  To be eligible for a course overload, students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and the written support of the student’s academic adviser.  Students who do not meet the 3.0 minimum GPA or who wish to enroll in more than 30 credits are not eligible for a course overload and must file an academic appeal which will be reviewed by the Academic Appeals Subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee.  New, non-transfer students are not allowed to enroll in a course overload in their first semester.

Course Load and Overload (Maymester/Holt Summer)

Registration in more than 12 credits during the summer (Maymester and Holt summer) is considered an overload.  When enrolling in eight or more credits, students can enroll in a maximum of two Maymester courses (typically eight credits) at a time or one Maymester and one Holt first-6 week session.

Students who wish to enroll in more than 12 credits in the summer must file a Request for Overload form to the Registrar’s Office for consideration. 

Special Student Status

Students who wish to enroll in less than 12 credits need special permission to do so.  Rollins College is committed to accommodating students with a documented disability or documented medical condition and these students can contact the Associate Dean for Advising for guidance on the process for securing a reduced, less than fulltime course load.  All other students who wish to enroll in fewer than 12 credits in a semester must file a request for Special Student Status form available on the Registrar’s form web site.  Typically, only students with non-disability or medical circumstances in their final semester of enrollment who need fewer than 12 credits in order to graduate are granted special student status.  Students approved for special student status will pay per-credit tuition and may not be eligible for student housing or financial aid.

All international students in F-1 or J-1 status are required by Federal immigration law to be registered full-time each fall and spring semester. Full-time is twelve (12) or more semester hours per term. International students must register and remain registered for at least twelve (12) semester hours each term. If you have a concern about your ability to stay registered full-time, you MUST see the International Student Services Coordinator PRIOR to dropping any courses that would bring you below the twelve (12) semester hour minimum.


CLA courses may be audited by full-time College of Liberal Arts students, persons with special student status (part-time students), or College faculty and staff, based on space availability and instructor approval. All auditors are responsible for any course fees or books, including fees associated with music courses/applied music (private lessons). Part-time students and non-students (members of the community) will be charged a nominal matriculation fee per course audited as determined.


Rollins College reserves the right to cancel classes based on enrollment and/or instructor availability. In the event that a course is cancelled, a notation will be made on the list of course offerings. If a student is enrolled in a class that must be cancelled, the student will be notified by the registrar in a timely fashion and prompted to enroll in another class.d.


Students who wish to take a course on a credit/no-credit (CR/NC) basis rather than for a letter grade must complete the appropriate form, available on the Registrar’s webpage, no later than two weeks, ten (10) class days, after the beginning of the fall or spring terms. Courses normally offered for a letter grade, in which the student has elected to change to a CR/NC grade, may not be used to fulfill general education, major, minor, or concentration requirements.

If a grade of ‘C-’ or better is earned, a mark of ‘CR’ and the appropriate number of semester hours are granted. If a grade below a ‘C-’ is earned, the course is abandoned, or the course is withdrawn from after the penalty deadline, a mark of ‘NC’ is granted. In any case, the grade point average is not affected. Courses taken CR/NC may not be used to fulfill general education, major, minor, or concentration requirements. No more than one (1) letter-graded course per term may be declared credit/no-credit, and a maximum of four (4) such courses may count toward graduation. Courses normally graded as CR/NC (internships, information technology, and applied music, for example) do not count toward the per term or graduation limits.

Once the CR/NC declaration is made for a given course in a given semester, students may not later request that the CR/NC be changed to a letter grade. In a subsequent semester, students may repeat a course graded CR/NC for a letter grade, but will not earn credit hours for the course a second time. (See the College’s policy on repeated courses, below.)

The Academic Internship course, normally graded as CR/NC, may be used to fulfill major or minor requirements with the approval of the Department Chair/Internship Representative. Students should first check with their Faculty Advisor to ensure they have satisfied all department prerequisites to participate in an internship for major or minor credit. Departments approving internships for major or minor credit should adhere to the minimum standards of the Academic Internship Program. To receive major or minor credit for an internship, the Academic Internship Programs Credit Approval Form should be signed by both the students’ Faculty Advisor and the Department Chair/ Internship Representative. The Department Chair/ Internship Representative should request to see the internship job description before approving the internship. The Department Chair/ Internship Representative have the option to add supplemental requirements in order for the student to receive credit. These additions to the internship syllabus must be communicated both to the student and the Director of Academic Internships prior to starting the internship. Students who earn credit in the major or minor are typically registered for 4 semester hours. The Department Chair/ Internship Representative who has approved major or minor credit should give the final grade approval of CR/NC to the Director of Academic Internships or the designated faculty member supervising the internship course. An internship that is declined for major or minor credit may still be approved for interdisciplinary credit that counts towards student general elective requirements.


Students may also exercise a one-time option of Last Day of Classes Credit/No Credit. In this option, students are permitted to declare a class Credit/No Credit up until the last scheduled day of classes, before the official exam period begins, for the term in which they are enrolled. This option is available for one course, and for one time only during a student’s career at Rollins.

If a grade of ‘C-’ or better is earned, a mark of ‘CR’ and the appropriate number of semester hours are granted. If a grade below a ‘C-’ is earned, the course is abandoned, or the course is withdrawn from after the penalty deadline, a mark of ‘NC’ is granted. In any case, the grade point average is not affected.

Courses taken under this option may not be used to fulfill general education, major, minor, or concentration requirements. Courses with general education designations for which the CR/NC option is elected will not earn general education designations. Once the CR/NC declaration is made for a given course in a given semester, students may not later request that the CR/NC be changed to a letter grade. In a subsequent semester, students may repeat a course graded CR/NC for a letter grade, but will not earn credit hours for the course a second time. (See the College’s policy on repeated courses, below.)

In rare, extenuating circumstances a student may consult with/appeal to the Associate Dean for Academics in order to exercise their one-time CR/NC option for RCC 100 or RCC 200. Students who fail their RCC course are not required to retake the class.


The last week of classes in the fall and spring terms is reserved for final examinations. All courses include a final examination, with possible exceptions for performance, writing, independent study, or seminar courses where other means of evaluation are more appropriate. Courses follow the exam schedule for the college through which they are offered.

The final examination must be offered in the time period scheduled in the examination matrix prepared by the Office of the Registrar, unless the Dean and the Provost have approved a change. An alternative period for unusual examination procedures, such as an oral examination, may be used provided the students involved do not encounter conflicts with other scheduled examinations. Tests or examinations may be offered through the penultimate week of classes, but must not be employed in lieu of a final examination. Final papers, research reports and other similar assignments, except those in lieu of a final examination, should be due before examinations begin to help students avoid conflicts. 

If a student has more than two final examinations scheduled in one day, s/he has the right to reschedule one examination to an open date within the final examination period.

Department chairs are responsible for overseeing the implementation of the final examination policy. 


When a course is repeated, all courses and grades will remain on the official academic transcript, but only the most recent grade will be used in calculation of the student’s grade point average.  In the instance that a student fails a course after earning a passing grade and credit, the student will forfeit any prior credits earned for the course.    

The following apply to course repeats:

  • Students who have earned a grade below a C or a WF in an undergraduate course are eligible to repeat a course.  
  • Students may not audit a course in which they have previously earned an A-F, WF, NC, or CR, nor can a student take a course for credit which was previously audited.
  • Students may not receive transfer credit for a course in which they have previously earned an A-F, WF, NC, or CR at Rollins College.
  • Students who have earned a C or better in a course may repeat on a space available basis and when approved to register by the instructor for the course.  Students will not receive additional credit for repeating a course they have already received credit, and will lose any prior credit earned if the subsequent attempt results in a failing or no credit grade.

Students who receive financial aid may be impacted when repeating a course in which they have already earned credit with a D- grade or higher. In addition, all academic grades that appear on your Rollins transcript are included when determining GPA eligibility under federal financial aid satisfactory academic progress. All students who wish to repeat a course are highly encouraged to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid in advance of registration form the repeat course.


The incomplete grade (I) is a temporary grade indicting that work for the course is not complete.  Incomplete grade contracts are appropriate when a student has completed majority (typically at least 80%) of the course during the semester, but conditions (such as illness or death in the family) prevents the student from completing the final requirements of the course.  Incompletes should not be used to allow for make-up work (i.e. homework, exams, quizzes, or presentations) missed prior to the final weeks of the semester. However, the final decision to grant an incomplete within or outside of these guidelines resides with the instructor

Students are responsible for completing the Incomplete Grade contract in close consultation with the instructor.  The instructor must indicate on the Incomplete Contract the grade the student can expect to receive in the class if the incomplete work is not completed by the agreed upon deadline.   

Students contracting for a grade of ‘I’ in the fall term must complete the course work by the deadline set by the instructor, and no later than the end of the second week of the succeeding spring term. Students contracting for an ‘I’ in the spring term must complete the work by the deadline set by the instructor, and no later than July 1.  Students contracting for an ‘I’ grade in the summer term (Maymester or Holt’s 12-week and six-week sessions) must complete the work by the deadline set by the instructor and no later than the end of the second week of the succeeding fall term.

Approved incomplete contracts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the last day of the term/finals (fall and spring terms) and the last day of the term for Maymester and Holt’s 12-week and six-week sessions. The Incomplete Grade contract is available on Foxlink. 

Faculty may not assign a grade of ‘I’ without an approved Incomplete Grade contract on file with the Registrar’s Office, nor may a faculty member accept late work after assigning a final grade (a de facto incomplete).


Hamilton Holt School Enrollment

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in the College may register for one undergraduate course per academic year in the Hamilton Holt School on a tuition-free basis, if approved by their academic advisor. During summer terms, Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies students are expected to pay full tuition and fees for Holt School courses taken.

Holt School courses have the same academic value as the College of Liberal Arts courses, unless exception is made in writing. Grades earned are calculated as part of the student’s grade point average. Academic adviser approval is required for registration in Holt School courses. Students interested in taking a Holt School course must initiate registration through the Registrar’s Office. Students academically or socially dismissed from the College of Liberal Arts are dismissed from all Rollins College programs.

In an effort to ensure the availability of Holt School courses to the student population they were designed to serve, approved College of Liberal Arts students are registered in Holt School sections on a space-available basis: a maximum of five (5) College of Liberal Arts students may register for any given course.

Transfer and Other Credit


Students may receive advanced standing by several means. This includes but is not limited to credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and dual enrollment courses. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information.

Transfer of Credit

A transfer student is an incoming student who has attended a regionally accredited college post-high school. Transfer student athletes should consult with Athletics regarding eligibility.

Transfer students must meet all general education curriculum and major requirements to earn a Rollins College degree. The Registrar’s Office reviews and evaluates courses taken at other institutions, determines courses/credit to be accepted, and prepares a Transfer Course Evaluation. The evaluation lists all courses accepted and any general education requirements those courses fulfill. The major department makes decisions regarding fulfillment of major requirements through transfer credit.

In the evaluation of transfer credit, four (4) semester hours equals one Rollins course. Transfer credit is awarded for coursework taken at regionally-accredited (Middle States, North Central, New England, Northwest, Southern, and Western Association) institutions, or the equivalent international institution. Transfer credit is not awarded for courses with a grade below “C-.” All transfer courses must be officially letter-graded by the originating institution, with the exception of internships which may be graded Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit if they meet the specific criteria outlined in the Education Programs and Opportunities section of this Catalogue. No more than the equivalent of sixty-four (64) semester hours of credit are accepted from a two-year institution. Students with sixty (60) semester hours of credit enter Rollins College with junior standing, but may need additional time to fulfill the requirements of specific majors.

Rollins College participates in an articulation agreement between the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF) and the Division of Florida Colleges. Through this participation, students who enter Rollins with a completed Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college or state college and transfer a total of sixty (60) semester hours, will matriculate with junior standing. Transfer credits/hours must meet the same standards and program requirements as those for native Rollins students. Rollins College accepts all A.A. degrees from accredited institutions in the same way that A.A. degrees from accredited Florida institutions are accepted.

Transfer credit for courses will only be awarded for grades of “C-” or better, as is the standard for all transfer students in the College of Liberal Arts. No more than a total of sixty-four (64) semester hours will be awarded to a student for transfer work from a two-year college. Rollins College will not transfer credits obtained from a secondary institution via online, blended, or distance learning courses, if a student simultaneously is enrolled in full-time courses at a different institution (including Rollins). Rollins College reserves the right to not award transfer credit for courses that are not considered appropriate for a pragmatic liberal arts education.

Students transferring in with a completed A.A. degree are considered to have met general education requirements. A student’s previously earned grades will transfer to the Rollins College academic record; however, only grades earned at Rollins will calculate into the student’s Rollins College GPA.

Once admitted to full-time degree-seeking status in the College of Liberal Arts, students must complete at least seventy (70) semester hours in the College (including Rollins Approved Semester, Summer and Field Study programs, and approved Hamilton Holt School courses).  Moreover, students must be enrolled full-time in the College of Arts & Sciences or College of Professional Studies (including Hamilton Holt School courses) during the last two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding summer terms).  Students must complete a minimum of 140 semester hours of academic work, of which at least sixty-four (64) semester hours must be outside a single departmental prefix.  All students must complete a minimum of sixteen (16) semester hours that are not used to meet either a general education curriculum or a major requirement. If a course taken previously is repeated at Rollins, credit for the transfer course will be removed from the student’s record.

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the following policy was approved by the Rollins College faculty to apply to the transfer of credit for courses elected for pass/fail (or similar non-GPA impact) grading at other institutions and is applicable to Spring 2020 transfer grades only:

  1. Rollins will accept transfer credits for pass (P) grades from institutions who do not define a pass grade as C- or better;
  2. These credits will be allowed to satisfy competencies, general education, prerequisites and to count toward majors/minors in the same manner as Rollins’s COVID-19 P/PD/NP policy.
  3. When an institution differentiates between pass and pass with D, the pass with D grade will not be accepted for transfer.


Students are awarded four (4) semester hours of credit for each AP examination on which they earn a score of four (4) or five (5). Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on the AP English Language and Composition examination or the AP English Literature and Composition examination are exempt from satisfying the College’s writing competency requirement (WCMP).  Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on the AP Calculus AB, Calculus BC or Statistics examinations are exempt from satisfying the College’s mathematical thinking competency requirement (MCMP).  Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on any AP foreign language examination are exempt from satisfying the college’s foreign language competency requirement (FCMP).

Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE)

Each score of one (1) or two (2) on CAPE Examinations is worth four (4) semester hours of academic credit. Credit earned through CAPE Examinations does not exempt students from any of the general education curriculum requirements.


Credit for IB course work is granted for students with an IB diploma, on a course-by-course basis. Students with an IB Diploma and a score of thirty (30) or better will be awarded one year (thirty-two [32] semester hours) of credit. Students without the Diploma, or with the Diploma and a score of less than thirty (30), will be awarded eight (8) semester hours for each higher-level score of five (5) or better and four (4) semester hours for each score of four (4) or better (on a higher or subsidiary level), to a maximum of twenty-four (24) semester hours. General education credit will be awarded as appropriate, to be determined by suitable bodies. Advanced placement will be awarded for major courses, subject to departmental approval. Students who present both IB and AP work in the same subject area will not be awarded double credit.


Grades of ‘A’ through ‘C’ on most British GCE A-level exams earn two course credits, eight (8) semester hours, per examination.

Summer Course Work

Students may take courses at other institutions, including the Hamilton Holt School, during summer terms, though these courses do not count toward the College of Liberal Arts residency requirements. Students must secure approval from their academic advisor, major/minor department chair, and the Registrar’s Office regarding both the institution and specific courses prior to enrollment in another program. A Permission to Study Outside of the College of Liberal Arts form is available on the Registrat’s Office website ( and must be used to obtain approval. Courses not pre-approved by the advisor, department chair, and the Registrar’s Office will not be accepted for transfer. Although grades do not transfer, with the exception of Rollins programs, courses must be taken for a letter grade. Academic credit is given only if a grade of ‘C-’ or better is earned. In addition, students must ensure that the institution attended, other than Rollins programs, sends an official transcript to Rollins after courses are completed. Students are responsible for requesting that an official transcript be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office after completing summer courses.

Transcripts and Academic Records


Rollins College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The Act is as follows:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students.”

  • Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. If the school decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by [Rollins College] to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Compliance Office

US Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202

  •  Parents or eligible students have the right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s educational records. [Rollins College] must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. [Under FERPA, however, Rollins College is permitted] to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR §99.31):
    • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
    • Other schools to which a student seeks or intends to enroll;
    • Specified officials, such as Federal, State, or local educational authorities, for the purposes of audit or evaluation of supported educational programs, or enforcement of compliance with legal requirements relating to those programs;
    • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
    • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
    • Accrediting organizations;
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies;
    • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law;
    • Parents of an “eligible student” to his or her parents if the student is a “dependent student,” as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code. Generally, if either parent has claimed the student as a dependent on the parent’s most recent income tax statement, the school may non-consensually disclose the student’s education records to both parents;
    • A victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding:
    • The general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her; and
    • Parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.

[Rollins College] may also disclose, without consent, “directory information.” “Directory information” is personally identifiable information that is not generally considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed and may include information such as a student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, [Rollins College] must inform parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. [Rollins College] must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification…is left to the discretion of each school.

Under FERPA, Rollins College may define and disclose “directory information” provided that students and/or parents are notified of items that are deemed to be “directory information.” As such, Rollins College defines “directory information” as including the following, as applicable:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Individually identifiable photographs of the student solicited or maintained directly by Rollins as part of the educational record
  • Enrollment status, full-/part-time classification, and class level
  • College/division, dates of attendance, and class schedule
  • Major and minor field(s) of study
  • Expected and actual graduation date
  • Degrees, awards, and honors received
  • Official athletic participation and athlete height and weight
  • Name and location of most recent previously attended educational institution


U.S. Department of Education &

Cornell University Law School Legal Information Institute—-000-.html

Retention of Records

The Office of Student Records at Rollins College retains records and registration documents according to the guidelines established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrar and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). Academic records, change of grade forms, original grade sheets, and graduation lists are considered permanent and are not discarded. Records are kept from one (1) to five (5) years after graduation or date of last attendance. Written records retention policies are available from the Office of Student Records.


The Registrar’s Office produces official and unofficial transcripts of students’ academic work at Rollins College. Official transcripts of the College include the following information: course prefix and number, course title, grades, term and cumulative grade point averages, earned hours, academic standing, date of graduation and degrees, certifications or academic honors earned, and, if appropriate, transfer or affiliated coursework and transfer grades.

Rollins College and Scrip-Safe have partnered together to provide current students and alumni with access to an online ordering system through a secure website. Official transcripts can be emailed only if the recipient will accept it through email. Students may also provide a mailing address to have an official transcript sent through the postal service or can request student pickup. For instructions, visit Please note that transcripts will not be issued for persons on Student Account Services Hold or in default of a student loan.

Leaves of Absence

All students may, with the approval of the Dean of Students, take a LOA to pursue nonacademic and/or non- Rollins academic interests or needs for one or two consecutive semesters. The conditions governing a leave of absence are as follows.

  • A LOA typically begins at the start of a regular semester and may not extend beyond two terms. The Director of Student and Family Care may grant exceptions,
  • A student on a LOA is not considered enrolled at Rollins and is not expected to participate in the College community. The Director of Student and Family Care may grant exceptions.
  • A LOA cannot be initiated after a student has been academically or social suspended or dismissed.

Students may apply initially for a one- or two-semester LOA. To request a personal, compassionate or medical leave, students should contact the Office of Student and Family Care to schedule an appointment and complete the LOA form.  This appointment can be in person, virtual or via the phone.

Types of Leave

A. Personal Leave (PLOA)

PLOA may be granted for a program of work, study, or travel that demonstrably contributes to the student’s personal development or program of study at Rollins. A student may also request a PLOA for reasons related to financial and/or personal hardship.

B. Compassionate Leave (CLOA)

In unusual circumstances, the Dean of Students or designee may, upon careful consideration of the welfare of the individual student, place a student on a CLOA, due to extraordinary personal reasons that are not related to the student’s physical or mental health, yet prevent the student from continuing classes (e.g., death in the immediate family). Military leaves will be processed as compassionate leaves.

C. Medical Leaves of Absence (MLOA)

In unusual circumstances, the Dean of Students or designee may, upon careful consideration of the welfare of the individual student and the College community, place a student on MLOA. A student is encouraged to request a voluntary medical leave in the event s/he/they believe her/his/their physical and/or mental health concerns are significantly interfering with the ability to succeed at Rollins and/or the demands of college life are interfering with her/his/their recovery or safety. A student who, in consultation with the Wellness Center or her/his/their health care provider, determines s/he/they need to request a voluntary medical leave must contact the Director of Student and Family Care to discuss the terms of the MLOA. The student will also need to obtain a LOA recommendation letter from her/his/their healthcare provider (on letterhead and signed) which includes the medical reason for the leave and any conditions/treatment recommendations with which the student will need to comply to ensure her/his/their readiness to return to the rigors and challenges of a college environment.

D. Involuntary Leave

In unusual circumstances, the Dean of Students or designee, in consultation with the College’s Wellness Center and the Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment (BETA) Team, may determine that a student needs to be placed on involuntary leave. This determination will be based upon an individualized and objective assessment of the student’s ability to safely participate in the College’s courses and programs and will examine whether the student’s behavior presents a serious and imminent risk to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or other members of the College community. The assessment will determine the nature, duration, and severity of the risk; the probability of the potentially threatening injury actually occurring; and whether or not reasonable modifications of policies, practices, or procedures will sufficiently mitigate the risk. The assessment will also include an evaluation of recommendations from medical professionals and an opportunity for the student and/or the student’s parents to submit medical information and recommendations from the student’s medical provider(s). In addition, a student who is not attending class or making satisfactory academic progress may be placed on an involuntary leave at the Dean of Students’ directive in collaboration with the appropriate academic dean(s). Such a decision will include inquiry into the student’s current health and welfare and may include a request for the student’s recent medical or mental health information.

Initiating a Leave of Absence

Students may apply initially for a one- or two-semester LOA.  To request a personal, compassionate or medical leave, students should contact the Office of Student and Family Care to schedule an appointment with the Director of Student and Family Care. If the student cannot meet in person, the LOA meeting can occur over the phone. In the case of a medical leave of absence, the student will also need to obtain a LOA recommendation letter from her/his/their healthcare provider (on letterhead and signed) which includes the medical reason for the leave and any conditions/treatment recommendations with which the student will need to comply to ensure her/his/their readiness to return to the rigors and challenges of a college environment.

After the student meets with the Office of Student andFamilyCare, the following offices will be notified the student is considering a LOA.It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with appropriate offices regarding potential impact of a LOA. Offices include:Student Account Services, Financial Aid, Residential Life and Explorations, Athletics, International Student and Scholar Services.

Students will have 48 hours to vacate residence hall rooms once an LOA is in effect. In some cases, a student may contact the Residential Life and Explorations if more time is needed to make travel arrangements. If a student’s LOA begins during winter break or at the beginning of the spring semester, the student will have three days to pack her/his room and vacate once the residence halls open for spring semester. Students may ask for special permission from Director of Student Life: Residence Life and Explorations to return to the halls before they open to remove belongings from her/his room.

The student’s professors and faculty advisor, and all departments connected with the student.  A student’s registration for classes will be canceled when appropriate for the semesters that the student plans to be on leave. Students on LOA will be able to participate in course registration for the semester in which they are approved to return.

Transcript Notations

  • If a LOA begins before the drop deadline appropriate for the course(s), no record of attendance will be recorded on the transcript for that semester.
  • If the leave begins after the drop deadline, a Withdrawal (“W”) grade will be recorded on the transcript for all courses taken that semester.
  • Compassionate or Medical Leaves. If the leave begins after the drop deadline, a Withdrawal (“W”) grade will be assigned on the transcript for all courses.
  • Personal Leaves. If the leave begins after the withdrawal deadline, a grade of ‘F’(Failing) or NC (No Credit), as determined by the grading mode for the course, will be assigned on the transcript for all courses.

Transferring Credit While on Leave

Students must complete a Transfer Course Pre-approval form to the Office of the Registrar prior to enrolling at another institution while on leave. Students receiving Rollins financial aid must check with the College’s Office of Financial Aid to determine if there are any financial aid implications for taking classes while on leave.  Student-athletes should check with Athletics to determine if there are any National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) eligibility implications for taking classes at other institutions while on leave.

Students must then submit an official transcript of all work completed directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Leave Limits

There is no administrative limit on the number of leaves a student may take. However, leaves may not be taken back to back without a period of re-enrollment at the College. Students on a LOA for more than two consecutive terms will have to reapply for admission; readmission to the College is not guaranteed.

Reinstatement from Leave

The Director of Student and Family Care will send reinstatement instructions to students on a LOA prior to the semester they are expected to return. These instructions are sent in early November for spring, and late March or early April for the fall semester.

  • Personal or Compassionate LOA:  Requests for reinstatement are due via email to the Director of Student and Family Care no less than four (4) weeks prior to the start of classes.
  • Medical or Involuntary LOA: Reinstatement from a MLOA or Involuntary Leave requires documentation from an appropriate health care provider indicating the student’s ability to manage a full-time academic load. The student must have his/her appropriate service provider provide an official signed statement of recommendation for reinstatement and a completed reinstatement questionnaire that can be downloaded from the Dean of Students website. The official statement must address the following:
    • specific diagnosis,
    • progress made as a result of any treatment or community sanctions plan completion,
    • readiness of the student to return to full-time student status, and
    • recommended treatment plan to support the student’s transition back to campus.

Students requesting return from LOA must complete all processes, sanctions, or requests resulting from Community Standards and Responsibility (CSR) or Honor Code cases. Students must also clear all holds on their account before registering for courses.

The Director of Student and Family Care will email reinstatement approvals to the student and the Office of the Registrar will notify the student of registration instructions via email.

Extending a Leave of Absence

If a student has taken a LOA for two semesters, is not ready to return, and wishes to remain on LOA, s/he/they may contact the Office of the Dean of Students for a one- or two-semester extension of the leave. Normally, however, students are not approved for more than one-year (two semesters) of leave at a time.  

Tuition Refunds

Personal Leave: Tuition, housing and dining refunds follow a percentage refund schedule (see table below) through the fourth week of the semester as published by the College.

Medical Leave: Tuition, housing and dining refunds follow a percentage refund schedule through the tenth week of the semester as published by the College.

Appeals for tuition refunds will be reviewed as a Review of Fee Adjustment as shown below.



Percent (%) Refunded




Prior to 2nd week of class



Prior to 3rd week of class



Prior to 4th week of class



Prior to 5th week of class



Prior to 6th week of class



Prior to 7th week of class



Prior to 8th week of class



Prior to 9th week of class



Prior to 10th week of class




Financial Aid

Students leaving the College in the middle of the semester should pay particular attention to how this might affect current financial aid eligibility. Please refer to the FAQs on the Student Financial Aid Office website,, or speak with the Student Financial Aid Office directly.

Students who withdraw or leave the College for a duration greater than one (1) academic year are not guaranteed a similar financial aid award package upon their return. The policies and availability of financial aid might vary from one year to the next. Therefore, no student is guaranteed Rollins’ grants and scholarships upon their return to the College. Students who have been gone for more than one (1) academic year will be considered for financial aid in comparison to all other Transfer Students being admitted in that same semester.

Withdrawal From the College

Students may voluntarily withdraw from Rollins by completing a withdrawal form by appointment with the Office of student and family care. After the second week of classes, the withdrawal is recorded on the student’s transcript as a ‘W.’ Students who withdraw from the college after the Friday of the eleventh week of classes may receive a grade of ‘F’ or NC (no credit) as determined by the grading mode of the course.

Social Suspension:

When personal or social issues have led to the suspension, Rollins College requires the student to use the suspension to address the personal and/or social issues impeding academic success. In the case of a social suspension, enrolling in another academic institution for the suspension may not be to the student’s advantage. No academic credit earned during a social suspension will be transferable back to the College.

Readmission from Academic or Social Suspension:

Before a student will be readmitted to the College, s/he must present a case demonstrating s/he is prepared to resume academic work. Typically, this includes a letter from the student detailing how the issue(s) related to the suspension were successfully addressed. In addition, the student is required to arrange an interview with a representative from the Office of the Dean of the Faculty to discuss readmission to Rollins College.

Appeals of Academic Policies

Rollins College is committed to fostering the academic and social success of each student. In the event the College deems a student’s work or behavior to be unacceptable, the student will be suspended academically and progress toward graduation will be disrupted. Students suspended academically from campus are advised to spend the intervening time addressing the scholastic and/or social issues that led to the suspension from Rollins College. Suspended students may attend another institution of higher learning, but Rollins College does not award credit for any academic work the student undertakes during the period of suspension.

Students may appeal to the Academic Appeals Committee the effects of any academic policy that applies to them. All appeals must be made within one (1) year of the conclusion of term for which the appeal is made. To submit an academic appeal, the student must complete the following steps.

Step l: Consult with their academic advisor, then schedule an appointment with the coordinator of academic appeals, Mae Fitchett (407-646-1559), to discuss their individual situation and to determine required documentation.

Step 2: Submit a written Appeal using the online appeals process.

Step 3: Review their DegreeWorks academic audit for accuracy. Report any discrepancies to the Registrar’s Office.

Step 4: Submit all supporting documentation to accompany the appeal to Mae Fitchett, with an explanation or note that it is to accompany the appeal. Students should follow-up to confirm that documents were received.

The Committee will discuss appeals only after all required documentation has been submitted. Required documentation also may include information from the advisor and/or professor. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all documentation is submitted by the dates outlined on the Academic Appeals website; appeals received after the student deadline will be reviewed at the next Appeals meeting.

Additional information and procedures for academic appeals may be found on the Academic Appeals website .