May 28, 2024  
2021-22 Hamilton Holt School Graduate 
2021-22 Hamilton Holt School Graduate [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Credit System and Course Scheduling Format

Class Attendance


Transfer Credit


Academic Standing

Academic Appeals


Student Records

Intellectual Property Policy


Note: Additional academic policies may apply to individual graduate programs. For more information, please visit:

Credit System and Course Scheduling Format

Rollins College Graduate Studies programs operate on the semester system. The standard course is defined as three semester hours for Counseling and Education and four semester hours for Applied Behavior Analysis and Behavior Sciences, Human Resources, Liberal Studies, Public Health. Rollins faculty expect students to spend considerable time outside of class each week working on course-related activities. It is appropriate for faculty to assign such work as part of the course requirements. The work that occurs outside of and in preparation for class is essential for the learning that occurs in class. Students should expect to spend at least three to four hours out of class for every hour in class.

A class typically meets once per week in the fall and spring semesters and twice a week in the summer semester. Hours vary for the weekend, intensive, blended, low residency, distance, and summer classes.

Some classes involve laboratories and are offered for more semester hours. Other classes that normally meet for fewer hours during a semester are offered for fewer semester hours.

In addition, the Holt School offers blended learning options. Blended learning is the replacement of a portion of in-class face-to-face-instruction with learning beyond the classroom, often, but not always, through the application of technology to enhance student learning outcomes. Courses must be approved to be taught in a blended format; and faculty teaching blended learning courses in the Hamilton Holt School are required to complete a training program.

Class Attendance

Rollins employs a variety of instructional methods and formats. Students are expected to attend all of their scheduled classes. Class attendance policies may vary with each professor. Normally such policies are contained in the syllabus. A student who is necessarily absent from class for extended periods of time or because of an emergency should notify Holt Student Services and the instructor immediately. Students are responsible for arranging the completion of assigned work with the individual instructor.

Instructors are responsible for notifying the Holt Student Services when a student stops attending a course and for reporting the last date of attendance.


Registration occurs in April for summer and fall terms and in November for the spring term.  Students are expected to complete their registration online during their assigned registration period and will have opportunity to make schedule changes through the subsequent semester’s add and drop deadlines.  

Registration for current students will be online through Foxlink, and specific days and times will be published in the schedule and on the website each semester.  To be eligible for registration, students must clear all registration holds in advance of their assigned registration time.  These holds may include:  past due account balance, past due monthly payment plan, or judicial hold.

If a course is canceled for any reason, students who have registered for that course will be given the opportunity to register for another course. For financial aid purposes, a full-time academic load is nine (9) semester hours in the fall and spring terms and six (6) semester hours in the summer term. Academic programs may, however, have a different minimum or maximum number of courses that may be taken. (See program descriptions for specific details regarding the minimum or maximum number of courses required for degree-seeking students.) A student who wishes to take more than the minimum or maximum academic course load must obtain written permission from the director of the appropriate graduate program at the Hamilton Holt School. Registration for current students will be online through Foxlink, and specific days and times will be published on the Registrar’s website each semester.

Course Loads

Some graduate programs at Rollins College are part-time programs. Students are required to enroll in at least two courses and have at least 4.5 semester hours for half-time status or nine (9) semester hours for full-time status. The maximum number of courses for which a student may enroll varies per program. Permission of the director of the program must be obtained in order to take more than the required courses. Fully employed students are advised not to register for more than two courses.

Although Graduate Studies does make recommendations regarding student course loads, some forms of financial aid are awarded contingent upon student enrollment in a specified number of hours. It is the student’s responsibility to ascertain information relevant to course load requirements and to adhere to such.

Enrolling Outside of Your Program

Graduate students may not enroll in undergraduate courses while they are enrolled in a graduate program without the written approval of the graduate program director. A graduate student who is taking some undergraduate coursework is eligible for the graduate loan limits if the student is enrolled at least half-time (4.5 credit hours) in courses (either graduate or undergraduate) that can be applied to the graduate program requirements.

However, the student must already be admitted into the graduate program. A borrower with a bachelor’s degree who is taking preparatory work for graduate school (or whose full admission to the graduate program is contingent upon completion of certain undergraduate courses) is not eligible for graduate loan limits.

Graduate students may enroll in a course in another graduate program providing the course will count toward the student’s graduate degree. Written permission from the director of both programs must be submitted at the time of registration.

Dropping or Withdrawing from Courses

Students may drop courses up until the 10th day of class (first two weeks).  Verbal or electronic notification from the instructor or failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal. Students who abandon a course without filing the proper withdrawal form automatically receive a failing grade.

A course dropped after the first two weeks of classes, but before Friday of the 11th week of classes is recorded on the student’s permanent record as a ‘W.’ Withdrawal from a course after this deadline is possible only if approved by the Academic Appeals Committee or under extenuating medical circumstances as determined by the Office of Student and Family Care. Students are responsible for consulting with the instructor regarding academic standing prior to the final date for withdrawal from courses. Instructors are responsible for providing students with a timely graded report concerning academic standing before the final date for withdrawal from courses. Students who withdraw from a course after Friday of the 11th week of classes may receive a grade of ‘F’ or NC (no credit) as determined by the grading mode for the course.

Students who drop part of term courses which do not meet the full semester must do so prior to the second class meeting and will have no notation placed on their transcripts. Students who drop part of term courses after the second class meeting, but prior to the 60% point of the course (as determined by the registrar) will receive a ‘W’ notation. Students dropping after the 60% point will receive a grade of F, NC (no credit) or NM (not met) as determined by the grading mode for the course.

All international students in F-1 or J-1 status must receive permission from the International Student Services Coordinator prior to dropping any courses that would bring them below the twelve (12) semester hour minimum. Failure to receive prior permission may result in a termination of the student’s immigration status.

Medical Leave

For students who are temporarily unable to continue their studies due to medical or psychological issues.

Medical Leave is a category of non-academic leave. While on leave the student is not considered to be currently enrolled in the College, but is considered to be in good standing with the College.

The Dean of Student Affairs grants a medical leave of absence to a student. Because a medical leave is sometimes needed to cope with sudden emergencies, a student may request a medical leave at any time during the semester. The medical leave must, however, be approved/granted prior to the end of classes for the academic semester in order to take effect for that semester.

The length of the medical leave depends on the nature and severity of the health concern. It is the concern of the Office of Student and Family Care that the leave be long enough to allow a student to regain the health and energy required to manage a full-time academic load in a residential environment. In the case of physical medical leaves, the length of the leave is determined by the length of time needed to ameliorate the physical ailment. In contrast, due to the nature of psychological medical leaves, a student often requires at least one (1) additional semester for treatment and stabilization of the condition.

To take a medical leave, a student may speak with either the Dean of Student Affairs, someone in the Office of Student and Family Care. Before a leave is granted, a student must consult with either the Director of Student and Family Care to determine whether or not the condition can be successfully managed. Requests for a medical leave require thorough and credible documentation by an appropriate health care provider. These professional staff will then make a recommendation to the Dean of Student Affairs as to whether the leave is warranted and create a written plan for what needs to be accomplished during the leave. When students are placed on medical leave, all grades for the semester are noted as ‘W’ withdrawn. Students found responsible for violations of the College’s Honor Code will receive any grades that are a part of Honor Council sanctions.

Student athletes should consult with the Director of Athletics or the compliance officer to determine if a medical leave will impact their NCAA eligibility.

International students should consult with the Director of International Student and Scholar Services regarding the effect of a medical leave on their immigration status.

Students receiving financial aid (grants, loans, and/or scholarships) should consult with the Office of Financial Aid before requesting a medical leave to determine the impact on their financial aid when they return.

Students on any type of leave are not eligible to enroll in the student insurance plan. Eligibility requirements of the plan stipulate that the student must be a full-time undergraduate College of Liberal Arts student taking a minimum of 12 credit hours and must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased. These requirements are not established by Rollins College, but by the student insurance company and are standard across most if not all student insurance plans.

If students have other considerations, such as, Honors Degree Program status or course requirements for a major, they should consult with academic departments and advisors.

Students on medical leave are not automatically reinstated to Rollins College. The student will be asked to provide documentation and a written recommendation from an appropriate health care provider to the Dean of Student Affairs confirming the student has completed all treatment recommendations and that the student’s health will support a successful return to full-time academic work on a residential campus. The Dean will present this information to the Reinstatement Committee for consideration of and planning for the student’s return. Both student and parent must review and agree to the requirements outlined on the Contract for Success before reinstatement. No academic credit earned during a medical leave will be transferable back to the College.

All written documents for requests regarding a return from medical leave must be received by June 1 for fall semester and November 1 for spring semester.

If students are not prepared to return to the campus in the semester following 12 months of medical leave, they must request in writing an extension of the medical leave. This request should be submitted to the Dean of Student Affairs and should include specific information about the student’s need for more time away.

The College may require a student to take a medical leave of absence if, in the judgment of the Dean of Student Affairs and the professional staff of the Division, the student: (a) poses a threat to the lives or safety of himself/herself or other members of the Rollins community; (b) has a medical or psychological problem which cannot be properly treated in the College setting; or (c) has evidenced a medical condition or behavior that seriously interferes with the student’s ability to function and/or seriously interferes with the educational pursuits of other members of the Rollins community.

Students will not be granted more than two (2) medical leaves, each of one (1) year duration, for a total of not more than two (2) years.

[Note: In making the decision to require a student to take a medical leave, the Dean of Student Affairs must act out of concern for the student and his or her rights, concern for the other students, and concern for the College as a whole. The Dean will have to consider whether the College is able to provide the level of care and guidance needed, whether there is a likelihood that the student will pose a threat to himself/herself or others, and/or to what extent the student seriously interferes with the rights of the others in the community to carry on their educational pursuits.]

For both voluntary and required leaves, the policy on refunds as posted by Student Account Services will apply.

Readmission After Medical Leave

If a student must leave Rollins for medical reasons, he or she must take sufficient time away to adequately address the issues that necessitated the leave. Students who depart the College after the tenth week of classes in any semester may not return until after the expiration of both the semester during which leave was taken and the next full fall or spring semester, i.e., a student who takes a medical leave in December, if readmitted on petition, may not return until the fall of the following school year.

During this absence, the College expects the student to undergo professional health-care treatment as the primary method of resolving the problem. Failure to seek ongoing treatment of a kind appropriate to the health problems will raise serious doubt as to the student’s readiness to resume student status. In such a case, the College may withhold admission until such time that appropriate treatment has been received.

A student on medical leave who wishes to return, must initiate a request for readmission by writing a letter to the Dean of Student Affairs detailing what has been accomplished during the absence. The student must also provide supporting documentation from a healthcare professional that addresses the following: the specific diagnosis that precipitated the need for care; the treatment plan; gains that were made as a result of the treatment; the readiness of the students to return to Rollins and the potential impact of the intellectual, physical, and personal demands of being a full-time residential student; any special conditions under which the student should be readmitted; and a recommended treatment plan to support the student’s transition back to campus. To facilitate the decision for readmission, the student must grant permission for the off campus healthcare provider to consult with the appropriate professional at Rollins, i.e., the Director of Student and Family Care. Requests for readmission and the supporting documentation are due no less than three (3) weeks prior to the first day of classes for the fall and spring semesters.

The information gathered is reviewed by a committee comprised of the Dean of Student Affairs, the Director of Student and Family Care, and the Director of Residential Life. When a student is permitted to return, special conditions or requirements may be outlined, and upon return, the student is expected adhere to the prescribed conditions or requirements. Failure to do so may result in the student’s dismissal from the College. The decision to readmit a student from a health leave of absence is a provisional judgment which may be reversed if a student fails to be a responsible member of the Rollins community.

Withdrawal Refund Policy

Refunds are made as follows:

  • 100 percent refund through the first week of classes.
  • 75 percent refund through the second week of classes
  • 50 percent refund if a student withdraws before the third class meeting for fall and spring, and before the second class meeting for summer and short term courses. (Check the calendar in the class schedule for 50 percent refund deadline.)
  • No refund thereafter.

Note: Refund policies refer only to tuition. All other fees are nonrefundable.

Tuition refund periods are published each term in the class schedule and are strictly enforced. Refunds will not be issued until the balance owed on a student account is paid in full, even if that balance includes charges for an upcoming term.

Refunds in all cases are based on the official date of written notification. Notification to the instructor by the student or failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal.

The tuition refund for schedule for intensive and weekend courses offered during any term is 100 percent before the second class meeting; 50 percent before the third scheduled class meeting; and no tuition refund thereafter. A student may withdraw without academic penalty before the class midpoint. Courses meeting every Saturday will follow the normal refund schedule for the term. Refunds relating to short-term and intensive courses are posted in each term’s schedule. Note: students should confirm financial aid implications prior to requesting a registration change.

Repeated Course

When a course is repeated, all courses and grades will remain on the official academic transcript, but only the most recent grade will be used in calculation of the student’s grade point average. Credit may only be earned once for a course. However, in the instance that a student fails a course after earning a passing grade and credit, the student will forfeit any prior credits earned for the course.    

The following apply to course repeats:

  • Students may only repeat a course with permission of the program director.
  • Students may not receive transfer credit for any course previously attempted at Rollins College.

Students who receive financial aid may be impacted when repeating a course in which they have already earned credit with a C- grade or higher. In addition, all academic grades that appear on a Rollins transcript are included when determining GPA eligibility under federal financial aid satisfactory academic progress. All students who wish to repeat a course are highly encouraged to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid in advance of registration for the repeated course.


Transfer Credits

Transfer credit may be granted for graduate-level courses from regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended. Graduate courses with a grade of “B” or better are acceptable if they are congruent with that graduate program’s curriculum and have not been used toward another degree. In graduate programs with the 4.0 credit system, additional credits must be taken to make up the difference in credit hours transferred. See the appropriate degree program description for specifics regarding transfer credits.


Grading System

The grading system used in all courses and comprehensive examinations includes the grades defined as follows:

A    indicates consistently excellent work and implies effort and performance that is clearly outstanding in quality.
B    indicates work of the quality normally expected of a graduate student and implies satisfactory to very good effort and achievement.
C    indicates work that is below the quality normally expected in graduate study.
F    indicates work that is clearly unacceptable in graduate-level study.
CR indicates mastery of the required competencies for course credit.
NC indicates failure to master the required competencies for course credit.
W   indicates withdrawal from a course in which performance was satisfactory or untested.
M   requirement met.
NM requirement not met.
R    deferred.
WF indicates unauthorized withdrawal.  (Discontinued use Fall 2019-20)
I indicates that work is incomplete.

The following scale is used for purposes of computing grade averages and credits earned.

A 4.00 B+ 3.33 C+ 2.33 F 0.00  
A- 3.67 B 3.00 C 2.00 WF 0.00  
  B- 2.67 C- 1.67    

Academic credit is assigned for “A,” “B,” “C,” and “CR” grades. “CR,” “M,” “NM,” “NC,” “W,” and “I” grades are not used in computing a student’s grade point average.

Incomplete Work

A mark of “I” indicating that coursework is incomplete may be assigned only when circumstances beyond the control of the student make it impossible for the student to complete the academic work within the normal period. Students are responsible for requesting an “I” prior to the conclusion of the course (contract forms are available online). The instructor assigns a deadline for the completion of the work, which in no case will exceed the end of the following term. A student has the responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor to complete the work within the allotted time. A student’s failure to complete the academic work in the designated time results in a grade of “F.” Only the graduate studies director, with the approval of the instructor and registrar, may change a formal grade to “I” after formal grades have been received. Note: Students with two or more “I” grades cannot register without permission from the Dean of Hamilton Holt.

Grade Changes

Only an instructor may change the grade given in a course. The Holt School Student Appeals Committee may change a “WF” upon written request from the student. Requests to change of “WF” must be submitted by the Student Appeals form within 90 days of the last day of the term, and will be approved only in an extraordinary circumstance.

It is the responsibility of the student to contact his or her instructor to discuss any grade change, and the instructor must submit grade changes in writing within 90 calendar days of the last day of the term.

Grade Appeals

Questions regarding grades should first be discussed with the instructor. If questions regarding a course grade cannot be resolved between a student and the instructor, the student has the option of filing a grade appeal. All grade appeals must be submitted in writing to the graduate studies director within thirty (30) days of the published term ending date or the date the grade was posted in the event of late or delayed final grade submissions. The appeal should contain the reasons why a student is contesting the grade. A student should supply supporting evidence and documentation in substantiating the grade appeal.

Based on a student’s letter of appeal and the reasons contained therein, the director determines whether or not to convene a faculty committee to hear the appeal. Students are informed in writing of the director’s decision. Should the instructor be the director of the department, a tenured member of the department will be selected by the department to serve as mediator. If this is not possible, then the Holt School Dean will serve in this capacity.

If an appeal hearing is granted, the committee reviews the case and makes a recommendation to the director/mediator. The director or mediator’s decision is final. A student is informed in writing of the decision.


Academic Standing


Students whose grade point average (GPA) falls below the required minimum of their degree or certification program may be placed on probation. (See the academic policies under the appropriate program description.)

Students whose cumulative GPA is greater than or equal to 2.5 but less than 3.0 will be placed on academic probation.

Students who have been placed on academic probation must raise their GPA to 3.0 in one semester or face academic dismissal. Students on academic probation who do raise their average but who fail again to achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 are continued on probation.

Students on academic probation for two consecutive terms who do not achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the end of the next term are dismissed. A grade of “F” or “WF” in any graduate course may constitute reason for academic dismissal.

The Veterans Administration (VA) is notified whenever veteran students are placed on academic probation. Veteran students on probation must attain a 3.0 cumulative GPA by the end of the second consecutive regular term after being placed on probation or the VA will be notified of unsatisfactory progress so the VA can terminate benefits.


  • Students whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.5 are dismissed.
  • The Veterans Administration is notified whenever veteran students are placed on academic probation.
  • Students dismissed from a graduate program are dismissed from all programs of the College.
  • Students who are academically dismissed have ten (10) days to appeal the decision. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the graduate program director.
  • Academically dismissed students may apply for readmission after one (1) calendar year has elapsed.
  • Individual program policies may also apply and supersede the guidelines above.

Nonacademic Dismissal

Failure to meet program requirements for nonacademic reasons is handled on a case-by-case basis by the program director. If it is decided that a student should not continue, the student is informed of this decision, the rationale and supporting evidence, and the options that exist.

Students who are non-academically dismissed have ten (10) days to appeal the decision. Students who wish to appeal may do so by completing a Student Appeal Form online The committee will review each case and make a recommendation to the dean. The dean’s decision is final. A student is informed in writing of the decision.


Rollins College will not consider a request for readmission from a dismissed student earlier than one (1) calendar year from the date of dismissal. Students who have been dismissed from the program may apply for readmission and should contact the Holt Admissions Office for further instructions.


Academic Appeals

Students may appeal to the Academic Appeals Committee the effects of any academic policy that applies to them. All appeals must be made within one (1) year of the conclusion of term for which the appeal is made.   To submit an academic appeal, the student must complete the following steps.

Step l: Consult with their Holt advisor to discuss their individual situation and to determine required documentation.

Step 2: Submit a written Appeal and supporting documentation using the online appeals process.

Step 3: Review their DegreeWorks academic audit for accuracy. Report any discrepancies to the Registrar’s Office.

The Committee will discuss appeals only after all required documentation has been submitted. By submitting an appeal, the student understands the Committee reserves the right to discuss the appeal with academic or administrative personnel as deemed appropriate and necessary for fair consideration. Students will be informed in writing as to the outcome of their appeal.


Program Policies
Additional academic policies may apply to individual graduate programs. Students who wish to appeal a program policy should first seek informal resolution through the program director. If the student believes the program has not resolved the issue, a formal written appeal may be submitted to the Dean of the Hamilton Holt School.



Rollins awards degrees three times per year (May, August, December). All graduates within an academic year are invited and encouraged to participate in the annual May commencement. Participation in the annual commencement is limited to those students completing all degree requirements as of May.

Intent to Graduate

Students are responsible for filing an Intent to Graduate form and must pay the graduation fee in the academic year in which they plan to graduate. The form is located in FoxLink. Students should refer to the appropriate degree program description for details regarding graduation requirements.

Graduation with Distinction

Students completing the Master of Arts (Applied Behavior Analysis and Clinical Science only), Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Education,  Master of Human Resources, and Master of Public Health with a cumulative grade point average of 3.90 or above will graduate “With Honors.”

Appeal to Participate in Commencement

Appeals to participate in Commencement without all graduation requirements complete will be considered only when the following conditions are met.

  1. The student has an overall GPA of 3.0 both at the time of petition and at the time of Commencement;
  2. The student presents a viable plan, including documentation of course availability, consisting of no more than four (4) semester hours.

The deadline to submit the request to participate in commencement is due by March 31. Forms are available online at Decisions will be made by the Associate Director of Student Services in consultation with the registrar and Dean of the Holt School.  Failure to complete current term classes may result in revocation of prior approval.

College honors, honors in the major field, nor any other College awards to graduating students will be neither recorded in programs, ascribed to student academic records, nor announced during ceremonies for any student who has not completed all graduation requirements at the time of Commencement. Students may participate in only one (1) Holt School graduation ceremony per degree.

Student Records


The Registrar’s Office produces official and unofficial transcripts of students’ academic work at Rollins College. Official transcripts of the College include the following information: course prefix and number, course title, grades, term and cumulative grade point averages, earned hours, academic standing, date of graduation and degree(s), certifications or academic honors earned, and, if appropriate, transfer or affiliated coursework and transfer grades.

In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended, transcripts cannot be issued without your written or electronic consent; therefore, the Office of the Registrar requires that all official requests for transcripts be made by electronic authentication via the Credentials, Inc., (TranscriptsPlus) ordering system. Phone requests are not accepted.

The Credentials, Inc. (TranscriptsPlus) ordering system where Credentials, Inc. (TranscriptsPlus) ensures the security and confidentiality of your credit card information.  Current and former students have the option to request an eTranscript (PDF) which will be sent to the e-mail address(es) provided or a paper transcript which will be printed and mailed to the designated address(es).  Transcripts (official and unofficial) cannot be released for current or former students who have an outstanding financial obligation to Rollins College or who are in loan default as determined by the Office of Student Account Services.

Access to Student Educational Records/FERPA

Rollins College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The Act is as follows:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records.  (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who is attending a postsecondary institution.)  These rights include:

1.  The right to review and inspect his or her own education records.  An eligible student has the right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Rollins College receives a request for access.  A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate records custodian a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect.  The appropriate records custodian will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.  If the records are not maintained by the records custodian to whom the request was submitted, that person shall advise the student of the correct records custodian to whom the request should be addressed.

2.  The right to request an amendment of the education record. An eligible student has the right to seek amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

  • A student who wishes to ask the college to amend a record should write the records custodian responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.
  • The college will, within a reasonable time after receiving the request, decide whether to amend the record as requested.
  • If the college decides not to amend the record as requested, the college will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.  Additional information will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3.  The right to provide written consent before personally identifiable information is disclosed, except when FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.  An eligible student has the right to provide written consent before the college discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The college may, and from time to time does disclose education records without a student’s prior written consent when authorized by FERPA, including to college officials whom the college has determined to have legitimate educational interests.  Rollins defines “college officials” and “legitimate educational interests” as follows:

  • “College officials” include (a) persons employed by Rollins College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or clerical or support staff position (including but not limited to law enforcement unit personnel, attorneys, counselors, and health staff); (b) persons serving on the board of trustees; or (c) persons (including students) serving on an official college committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee.
  • A college official also may include a volunteer, contractor, consultant or other party outside of Rollins College (i) who performs an institutional service or function for which the college would otherwise use its own employees, (ii) who is under the direct control of the college with respect to the use and maintenance of education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another college official in performing his or her tasks, and (iii) who is subject to the obligation not to disclose PII from any education record without the prior written consent of the student.
  • “Legitimate educational interests” include performing a task or engaging in an activity related to (i) one’s regular duties or professional responsibilities, (ii) a student’s education, (iii) the discipline of a student, (iv) a service to or benefit for a student, (v) measures to support student success, and (vi) the safety and security of the campus. 

4.  The right to file a complaint.  An eligible student has the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Rollins College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

       Family Policy Compliance Office
       U.S. Department of Education
       400 Maryland Avenue, SW
       Washington, DC  20202

When does FERPA permit disclosure of personally identifiable information (PII) without student consent?

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without the consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations.  Except for disclosures to college officials (as defined above), disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure.  Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures.  

The college may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining the prior written consent of an eligible student -

  • To other college officials whom the college has determined to have legitimate educational interests, as described above under paragraph 3. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the college has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that certain conditions are met. (§99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another college where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34. (§99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the college’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§99.31(a)(4))
  • To certain state and local officials or authorities when authorized by state statute in certain cases.  (§99.31(a)(5))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the college, in order to:  (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction.  (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.  (§99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes.  (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.  (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36.  (§99.31(a)(10))
  • When it is information the college has designated as “directory information” under §99.37.  (§99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39.  The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.  (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the college determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the college’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the college, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the college determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))
  • The disclosure concerns sex offenders and other individuals required to register under section 17010 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

Directory Information

Institutions may disclose a student’s directory without their consent, and without violating FERPA if the student has not restricted their personal information.  Rollins College considers the following to be directory information:

  • Student name
  • Address (city, state and country only)
  • Parent/guardian name(s)
  • Parent/guardian address(es) (city, state and country only)
  • Telephone number(s) (including cellphone)
  • Rollins College campus email address
  • Campus mailbox
  • Date of birth (month and year only)
  • Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, etc.)
  • Dates of attendance
  • Major and minor field(s) of study
  • Class standing (i.e. first-year, second-year)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Height and weight of members of athletic teams
  • Anticipated Graduation date
  • Date and title of degree(s) earned
  • Awards and honors received
  • Thesis titles
  • Photograph/image/video
  • Most recent prior institution attended 

 The release of student directory information is generally not done at Rollins College without the expressed, written consent of the student, except as noted in item #3 above.  

Request to Restrict Directory Information

While attending Rollins College (College of Liberal Arts, Hamilton Holt and Crummer), students may request to restrict the release of their Directory Information except to college officials with a legitimate educational interest, as outlined in item 3 above.  Students may restrict all information by going to the Registration and Records tab in Foxlink or by visiting the Registrar’s Office, Carnegie 2nd Floor.  A form is also available in the Registrar’s Office located on the 2nd floor of Carnegie.  The request to restrict directory information remains in effect until the student modifies the request, in writing.  Should the student graduate or otherwise leave the college, this restriction will remain in place until the student requests for it to be removed.  

Note:  Once a student has requested to restrict directory information, no information can be shared about the individual without the student’s written consent. In such a case, problems may occur thereafter when potential employers or other parties make inquiries about the student.

For additional information go to


Retention of Records

Rollins College retains records and registration documents according to the guidelines established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrar and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). Academic records, change of grade forms, original grade sheets, and graduation lists are considered permanent and are not discarded. Records are kept from one (1) to five (5) years after graduation or date of last attendance. Written records retention policies are available from the Registrar’s Office.

Outstanding Accounts

It is College policy not to release transcripts or diplomas for students with an outstanding financial obligation to Rollins College.  For further information, contact the following: Student Account Services, Rollins College, 1000 Holt Avenue - 2716, Winter Park, Florida 32789-4499, 407-646-2252.

Intellectual Property Policy

The College’s policy on intellectual property can be found on Human Resources website at This policy is meant to encourage and support faculty, staff, and student research; to protect the rights and interests of College constituents as well as the College itself; and to provide College constituents with information that will guide understanding of intellectual property and its application at Rollins College. All faculty (full-time and adjunct), staff, student employees, and students, as well as non-employees who participate or intend to participate in teaching and/or research or scholarship projects at Rollins College are bound by this policy.

Rollins College is committed to complying with all applicable laws regarding copyright and other forms of intellectual property. Furthermore, this policy shall not be interpreted to limit the College’s ability to meet its obligations for deliverables under any contract, grant, or other arrangement with third parties, including sponsored research agreements, and the like.

Questions of ownership or other matters pertaining to materials covered by this policy shall be resolved by the Provost (or his or her designee) in consultation with others, as appropriate. In the event that resolution of such matters becomes controversial, the Provost (or his or her designee) will convene an Intellectual Property Committee as described in Section B, Patents.